ProBono.Org is a dynamic NGO that works with the private legal profession to provide pro bono legal services to the poor and contributes to ensuring that the unmet access to justice needs of impoverished people living in South Africa are met.
Based in Cape Town, ProBono.Org seeks to appoint a
The position requires the incumbent to support and work with the Regional Director to ensure the wellbeing of ProBono.Org in Cape Town.
Essential aspects of this position include:
- Co-ordinating projects and displaying strong project management skills.
- Undertaking strategic decision making and planning.
- Managing legal interns and administrative staff.
- Ensuring high quality services are offered to clients, as well as administrative support to pro bono attorneys and advocates.
- Building relationships with the private legal profession and other stakeholders to enhance the delivery of pro bono services.
The requirements for the Staff Attorney position are:
- Minimum: LLB Degree
- Admitted attorney with relevant experience
- A demonstrable commitment to and interest in public interest law and social justice
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point)
- Currently based in Cape Town
- A valid driver’s license and own transport
Key Skills and Competencies:
- The candidate must be well organised and have strong administrative skills
- Advanced communication skills (oral, written and interpersonal skills). This requires good telephone etiquette and patience
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, prioritise work and manage deadlines
- Dependable and responsible: follow instructions and respond to directions timeously
- Excellent computer literacy skills
To Apply: Kindly email a motivational letter, CV and certified copies of ID and qualifications to Uzair@probono.org.za by Thursday 11 May 2017.
Note: Applications which do not comply with the above criteria will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ProBono.Org in Durban has the following opportunity:
Commencing 3 July 2017
The intern will provide legal services to ProBono.Org’s clients.
Key Performance Areas
1. Providing a legal service to ProBono.Org clients
1.1 Interviewing persons seeking legal assistance or any person acting on their behalf;
1.2 Assessing their matters in terms of the ProBono.Org criteria;
1.3 Consulting with your supervisor on the best strategy for dealing with each matter, such as direct assistance, mediation, litigation or another form of legal intervention;
1.4 Preparing detailed briefs for legal practitioners in matters which require pro bono legal assistance;
1.5 Generally, managing all matters from time of consultation until such matter is either closed or referred to a suitable pro bono attorney;
1.6 Undertaking all duties assigned to you to enable legal clinics to function effectively;
1.7 Participating in projects that your department or office is working on;
1.8 Assisting in planning and executing seminars and other events held by ProBono.Org.
2 Contributing to your own and the organisation’s knowledge development
2.1 Familiarising yourself with all relevant legislation and case law pertaining to matters that fall within the scope of your department;
2.2 Writing reports on successful matters to be used as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communications functions.
3 Contributing to building ProBono.Org
3.1 Participating in strategic sessions and organisation meetings and processes to contribute to the growth and development of ProBono.Org;
3.2 Attending workshops, meetings and events that promote and assist in realising ProBono.Org’s objectives;
3.3 Maintaining and building strong relationships with NGOs, CBOs, law clinics and other pro bono and public interest law initiatives.
4 Person Specifications
4.1 Qualifications and experience
- An LLB degree (required);
- A demonstrable commitment to public interest law and social justice.
- Good communication skills, especially writing skills;
- Basic computer skills;
- High levels of organisation;
- Ability to learn quickly and understand the work of ProBono.Org;
- Must speak Zulu.
4.3 Knowledge required
- A good working knowledge of the law relating to the key focus areas of ProBono.Org.
4.4 Attitudes and behaviour
- Commitment to social justice and access to justice;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a respectful way;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Interest in people and their problems.
To apply, please email a motivational letter, your CV with certified copies of qualifications and two contactable references to email@example.com
- Applications which do not comply with the above, cannot be considered. Late applications will not be considered. This is an entry-level position, suitable for a recent LLB graduate. Applicants who applied previously are requested not to reapply.
Closing date: Tuesday, 6 June 2017.