ProBono.Org in Joburg has the following opportunities:
4 x INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
Commencing 2 January 2018
The intern will provide legal services to ProBono.Org’s clients.
Key Performance Areas
1 Providing a legal service to ProBono.Org clients
1.1 Interviewing persons seeking legal assistance or any person acting on their behalf;
1.2 Assessing their matters in terms of the ProBono.Org criteria;
1.3 Consulting with your supervisor on the best strategy for dealing with each matter, such as direct assistance, mediation, litigation or another form of legal intervention;
1.4 Preparing detailed briefs for legal practitioners in matters which require pro bono legal assistance;
1.5 Generally, managing all matters from time of consultation until such matter is either closed or referred to a suitable pro bono attorney;
1.6 Undertaking all duties assigned to you to enable legal clinics to function effectively;
1.7 Participating in projects that your department or office is working on;
1.8 Assisting in planning and executing seminars and other events held by ProBono.Org.
2 Contributing to your own and the organisation’s knowledge development
2.1 Familiarising yourself with all relevant legislation and case law pertaining to matters that fall within the scope of your department;
2.2 Writing reports on successful matters to be used as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communications functions.
3 Contributing to building ProBono.Org
3.1 Participating in strategic sessions and organisation meetings and processes to contribute to the growth and development of ProBono.Org;
3.2 Attending workshops, meetings and events that promote and assist in realising ProBono.Org’s objectives;
3.3 Maintaining and building strong relationships with NGOs, CBOs, law clinics and other pro bono and public interest law initiatives.
4 Person Specifications
4.1 Qualifications and experience
- An LLB degree (required);
- A demonstrable commitment to public interest law and social justice.
- Good communication skills, especially writing skills;
- Basic computer skills;
- High levels of organisation;
- Ability to learn quickly and understand the work of ProBono.Org;
4.3 Knowledge required
- A good working knowledge of the law relating to the key focus areas of ProBono.Org.
4.4 Attitudes and behaviour
- Commitment to social justice and access to justice;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work with a wide range of people in a respectful way;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Interest in people and their problems.
To apply, please email a motivational letter, your CV with certified copies of qualifications and two contactable references to email@example.com
- Applications that do not comply with the above cannot be considered. Late applications will not be considered. This is an entry-level position, suitable for a recent LLB graduate. Applicants who applied previously are requested not to reapply.
Closing date: Thursday 14 December 2017.