STAFF ATTORNEY, PROBONO.ORG DURBAN
Permanent position commencing 2nd September 2019 or ASAP.
ProBono.Org is a dynamic NGO that works with the private legal profession to provide pro bono legal services to the poor and contributes to ensuring that the unmet access to justice needs of impoverished people living in South Africa are met.
The position requires the incumbent to support and work with the Regional Director to ensure the wellbeing of ProBono.Org in Durban.
Essentially this position involves –
Co-ordinating projects and displaying strong project management skills.
Undertaking strategic decision making and planning.
Managing Legal Interns.
Ensuring high quality services are offered to clients, and administrative support to pro bono Attorneys and Advocates.
Building relationships with the private legal profession and other stakeholders to enhance the delivery of pro bono services.
- LLB Degree
- Admitted Attorney with ±3 years relevant post admission experience
- A demonstrable commitment to, and interest in, public interest law and social justice
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer literate (MS Office supported programmes)
- Currently based in Durban
- A valid driver’s license and own realiable transport
Key Skills and Competencies:
- The candidate must be well organised and have strong administrative skills.
- Advanced communication (oral and written), and interpersonal skills.
- This requires a good telephone etiquette and patience.
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, prioritises work and manages deadlines.
- Dependable and responsible: follow instructions and respond to directions timeously.
- Excellent computer literacy skills.
- Screening clients in accordance with ProBono.Org criteria, researching merits of cases and preparing memorandum for attorneys and briefs for advocates.
- Interacting, communicating and managing relationships with private legal professionals.
- Recruiting legal professionals to undertake pro bono work and referring clients to such legal professionals.
- Creating opportunities for legal professionals to undertake pro bono work.
- Monitoring the progress and outcome of cases referred to legal practitioners.
- Organising, managing and monitoring legal clinics and special projects.
- Organising seminars, workshops and training.
- Building strong relationships with NGOs and CBOs.
- Undertaking legal work for NGOs and CBOs through pro bono lawyers to strengthen such NGOs and CBOs.
- Writing reports, success stories and press releases, as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communications functions.
- Facilitating the work of Community Advice Offices by linking them with law firms and supporting their work.
- Promotion of ProBono.Org in various media.
- Management of interns.
- Management of budgets, funding applications and reports.
- Project management and strategic planning abilities, and the ability to coordinate projects.
- Data management and statistical recording skills.
- The ability to undertake strategic decision making and planning in collaboration with the Regional Director.
To apply, kindly email a motivational letter and CV, together with certified copies of qualifications and ID to email@example.com by 16:00 on Monday, 12th August 2019.
Note: Applications, which do not comply with the above criteria, will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.