ProBono.org’s services and projects
ProBono.Org facilitates the provision of free legal services for the poor by volunteer private lawyers.
The first and only organisation of its kind in the country, our innovative model channels millions of rands of top quality legal assistance, pro bono, to the most vulnerable and marginalised people.
Services to clients
ProBono.Org screens, matches and refers clients to volunteer private lawyers.
These are some of our services:
- Legal Clinics – including a weekly Refugee Legal Clinic, HIV/Aids Legal Clinic, Housing Legal Clinic, Consumer Protection Legal Clinic, NGO (Corporate Governance) Legal Clinic, Police Brutality Legal Clinic, Small Business (Corporate Governance) Legal Clinic and a Family Law Legal Clinic.
- Projects – including Women and Children’s Rights Project, Family Law Project, Mediation Project, SASLAW Project, Community Advice Office Support Project and Wills Project.
- Help Desks – including a Maintenance Help Desk, Thokoza Help Desk, Master’s Office Help Desk (Johannesburg and Durban), Family Law Help Desk (Johannesburg -Lenasia and Soweto), and a Domestic Violence Help Desk (Johannesburg – Randburg Divorce Court).
- Clearing House
Services to lawyers
ProBono.Org works with a volunteer panel of over 70 law firms and 800 advocates in the Gauteng area to provide public interest legal services.
- Pro bono opportunities and client referrals
- Education and training
- Structuring and planning advice
ProBono.Org establishes links and builds bridges between the private legal sector and the public interest legal needs of the poor.
- ProBono Law – a fortnightly radio programme on constitutional issues and the law
- General legal assistance
- Strategic impact litigation
- Partnerships and co-operation agreements
- International legal networks and advice
The unique multiplier effect of our model means that:
- 2 offices facilitate assistance for over 4 000 clients per year
- A staff of 8 has access to over 1 500 attorneys and 1 000 advocates
- With a small staff and budget of R5.5 million we unlock R25 million worth of private legal services